Latest V5 Firmware
Latest V5 firmware is available for all V5 embossers as a direct download via Internet (if the embosser is connected via wired or wireless network).
The firmware can also be downloaded and placed on a USB-memory for off-line updating of your embosser.
Scroll down for download link.
Instructions on how to update your V5 embosser
Please note that if you are updating from an older firmware (older than 2017-02-15) the update process may require one or more extra update steps, i.e., you will need to perform the update two times or more. The embosser will report that the update fails the first time. Please update the embosser again if this happens. After the final try, the embosser will report that the update has succeeded.
Firmware V5: 2020-02-11 includes:
Several new important features for the BrailleApp.
Improvements to the embosser.
- Added support for maintaining the document original formatting (docx):
- Spaces at the beginning of the paragraphs.
- Tabs - converted to spaces, based on the selected size.
- New lines.
- Page breaks.
- Developed an improved version of the label editor.
- Enables two editing modes: Basic and Advanced for individual label manipulation (size, origin, text, ...).
- Exports in a .brj format that can be passed from one embosser to another.
- Added the possibility to check for updates from within the BrailleApp.
- The button "Check for updates" can be used to verify both the availability of online and offline (from USB) updates.
- Added more details to the Info page.
- Added information about current hammer batch.
- Added information about the current liblouis release.
- When changing the active layout and it has a different paper size, a message will be shown to change the paper in the embosser.
Improvements to the WiFi.
- Liblouis 3.12.0 is now used for the text-to-braille translation.
- Support for ePub3 file format.
- ePub3 is one of the most popular formats for electronic books.
- Increased the Bluetooth transfer support file types list.
- Bluetooth transfers now support all file types that are supported from any other source (BrailleApp, USB media, ...)
- Added translation files for GB, US and Indian English.
- This will allow defining specific speech details for each language.
- Restructured parts of the embosser menu user interface.
- Changes will be available in the new user manual and briefly in the section below.
- Increased the maximum and minimum values for adjust line spacing.
- This allows ordinary characters to be used as graphic blocks.
- Fixed bug that caused Japanese content to be wrong printed/previewed.
- Includes the fix for Double-Sided printing.
- Fixed bug that caused online updating over WiFi to fail multiple times in certain cases.
- Fixed WiFi initialization problem that caused error "Failed to set power to 1".
- The internal network driver (connman) has been updated to version 1.37.
- It is now possible to connect to WPA2 Enterprise authentication method networks.
- It is now possible to connect to open networks.
- Fixed bug that caused internal service communication malfunction that could led to BrailleApp errors.
- Updated liblouis to version 3.13.
- Updated translation files for several languages: Danish, French, Italian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese and Turkish.
- Fixed bug that caused error "Failed to load parameterList" after firmware update.
- Fixed bug that caused exception when printing from Microsoft Edge browser.
- Fixed bug that caused preview crash on whole page delete.
- Fixed bug that caused test page - step length for embosser head - to not be printed.
- Fixed bug that crashed the embosser when stopping the print with OFF and then continue with using the Menu key.
- Fixed bug that caused preview printing to be incorrect in some cases; usually when eight dot characters were involved.
Known Issues affecting the BrailleApp (will be fixed in later release)
- Documents larger than 4MB results in an error from the uploader
Details on Firmware V5: 2020-02-11
New Functionality and Improvements
- Added support for maintaining the document original settings. (FW2-3501)
- Developed an improved version of the label editor. (FW2-3701)
- Added option to save or cancel label settings changes. (FW2-3846)
- Added information about document original formatting. (FW2-3783)
- Increased supported formats to include ePub3. (FW2-2990)
- Added translation files for GB, US and Indian English. (FW2-3856)
- Add support for WPA2 Enterprise. (FW2-3242)
- Add Bluetooth transfer support for new file types (dxb, epub, ipf, bes etc.). (FW2-3561)
- Update Liblouis to release 3.12. (FW2-3760)
- Update connman to version 1.37. (FW2-3509)
- Added message when changing layout and it's a different paper used. (FW2-2341, FW2-3919)
- Added update checks from within the BrailleApp status bar. (FW2-3757)
- Added more details to the Info page of the BrailleApp. (FW2-3781)
- The buttons for creating / deleting user papers are automatically disabled when the min / max number has been reached. (FW2-3800)
- Improved the user interface for the embosser. (FW2-3736)
- Removed "Wizard for folding line position". (FW2-3719)
- Replaced the printing of folding line test page in wizard. (FW2-3728)
- Renamed "Run paper feed calibration" and moved wizard for Fan-Fold. (FW2-3737)
- Adjusted wizard for gap between print heads. (FW2-3738)
- Adjusted wizard for braille line alignment. (FW2-3739)
- Adjusted wizard for paper step length calibration for BrailleBox. (FW2-3759)
- Adjusted wizard for distance from sensor to paper. (FW2-3769)
- Adjusted wizards for delay time, gap between print heads and step length for embossing heads. (FW2-3881)
- Changed maximum and minimum values for "Adjust pf Step". (FW2-3876)
- Restructured User Service and Protected Service menus in embosser. (FW2-3850)
- Removed the print service files section from the BrailleApp. (FW2-3898)
- Allow preview printing in MIT ASCII mode. (FW2-3902)
- Disable text mode in editors for Japanese. (FW2-3928)
- Increased the maximum and minimum values for adjust line spacing. (FW2-3927)
- Manual document has been updated with the latest changes. (FW2-3958)
- Update translation files with the latest changes. (FW2-3958)
- Fixed bug that caused connecting to open WiFi networks to fail. (FW2-3704)
- Fixed bug that caused connection failures when it should have succeded, for WPS networks. (FW2-2151)
- Fixed bug that caused files with capital letters extensions to not print the file. (FW2-3682)
- Fixed bug that caused the Info page of the BrailleApp to not update the firmware version. (FW2-3730)
- Fixed bug that caused BrailleBox led to not be turned on. (FW2-3659)
- Fixed bug that caused large epub files to crash the parser. (FW2-3640)
- Fixed bug that caused ipf files to cannot be previewed. (FW2-3762)
- Fixed bug that caused USB media to remain mounted after restart. (FW2-3796)
- Fixed bug that caused wired network input validation to fail. (FW2-3797)
- Fixed bug that caused Undo to malfunction for Deleting a single character, in preview editor. (FW2-3798)
- Fixed bug that caused the information buttons for liblouis table to not be aligned correctly on mobile devices. (FW2-3775)
- Fixed bug that caused wrong layout in embosser after creating a new one in the BrailleApp. (FW2-3849)
- Fixed bug that caused Bluetooth to be powered on at first system boot. (FW2-3863)
- Fixed bug that caused lines to be indented with an extra space when the document original formatting is enabled. (FW2-3867)
- Fixed bug that caused some DOCX files to fail printing. (FW2-3872)
- Fixed WiFi initialization problem that caused error "Failed to set power to 1". (FW2-3938)
- Fixed bug that caused WiFi switch to be set in wrong state after cancelling the operation. (FW2-3929)
- Fixed bug that caused embosser to crash on printing some test documents. (FW2-3917)
- Fixed bug that caused Japanese content to be wrong translated. (FW2-3932)
- Fixed bug that caused updating over WiFi to fail multiple times. (FW2-3879)
- Fixed bug that caused Bluetooth to get stuck at initialization. (FW2-3900)
- Fixed bug that cause USB backup/restore to success when media is not inserted. (FW2-3933)
- Other minor bug fixes and improvements for the new label editor. (FW2-3844, FW2-3845, FW2-3848, FW2-3918, FW2-3980)