Mac OS X-users: PLEASE NOTE! odt2braille does not work for OS X.8 and above (currently this includes "Mountain Lion", "Maverics" and "Yosemite". Please do not upgrade OS X to these versions if you are relying on odt2braille!
Installation of odt2braille - beta version
- Download and install Open Office or Libre Office on your PC
- Download the latest pre-release version of odt2braille and save. The format name is "odt2braille-0.1.1.rc10-windows_x86.oxt". Sometimes Explorer changes the extension to .zip, in these cases change the file name to .oxt.
Remove the previous version of odt2braille from your PC at /Tools/ Extension Manager and click on "Remove". Wait.
- Close Open Office and start again
- Install odt2braille at /Tools/ Extension Manager, click on Add.., browse to the .oxt file and press "Open". Wait.
- Close Open Office and start it again
Install your Index embosser
- Install the latest Index Printer Driver (32 or 64 bit) on your PC
- Connect you Index embosser with the USB cable and the plug & play function will start automatically.
- Setup your embosser to the page format you prefer, inclusive of: paper size, top margin and binding margin. Afterward please check the number of characters per line and lines per page for the embosser. In V4 embossers this is presented when pressing the HELP key in menu/braille settings/page layout.
Write down your braille embosser settings example 28 lines per page, 29 characters per line, binding margin 4, top margin 1. This information is needed when setting up odt2braille.
- Click on "Text Document"
- Select menu File /
- Create an empty text document
- Go to menu/ Format / Braille / and define your settings. Most important is to select Language and contraction level. After page 1-15 are completed, please press "Save".
- Make a Braille template with your settings:
menu File/ Template / Save/ Select Categories "Braille Templates" and give your template a name example "My Braille template".
- Make "My Braille template" default by:
- Select File/ templates/ Organize
- In the Template manager, double-click on Braille Documents
- Right-click on your template and select "Set as default template"
Emboss your first document
- In the first menu click on "Text Document". The document opened will now have the default settings defined in your template, such as braille translation language, formatting rules etc.
- Cut and paste your source document into your empty document in Open Office
- Select Menu/Emboss
- Select Embosser type "Unspecified". The list of Index embossers are not yet correctly implemented 2011-11-15.
- Character set US (MIT)
- Check "Recto-verso" (double sided)
- Select paper size from the list
- Set Width to the same number of braille cell/line as your embosser
- Set Height to the same number of lines per page as your embosser
a) Adjust margins, lines per page and characters per line on the V4 embosser by:
-set up number of lines per page on the embosser by adjusting Top Margin and Lines per page
-set up characters per line by adjusting Binding Margin and Characters per line
b) Adjust margin etc in odt
- Outer margins are the binding margin. The setting will give Binding margins on page 1,3,.. as the selected margins, this consists of a number of spaces.
- Set Top and Bottom margins, add empty lines in the top and bottom of the braille page.
- Select Continue to emboss
- Select Your Index embosser from the list of embossers and select emboss