Basic-D V4 start up trouble shooting-X
Initial check up:
Before starting the unit make sure the embosser is free from damages and it is recommended that the following is checked:
- The back side paper rollers move and rotate easily, and simultaneously has a good grip on the paper during a feed.
- Insert the paper and check the function of the formula tractors. Are the lids OK?
- Now start up your Basic-D V4 Embosser by pressing the ON key (control panel). The start up message "Index Basic-D ready" = OK
Update firmware version
Press HELP, the embosser will echo the firmware version, if this version is below the latest version presented on the Index website and there is an issue on the embosser our recommendation is to upgrade the embosser immediately. In the file "V4 version history 1.x.x" firmware improvements and bug fixes are included and this me found in downloads.
- The Optical paper sensor is located between the formula tractors. Move the paper above the sensor eye, if the green LED on the main board is lit (back plate) the optical sensor is OK
- Optical paper jam sensor located on the left hand of the formula tractor. Move the paper above the sensor eye, if the yellow LED on the main board is lit (back plate) the optical sensor is OK
This function is only implemented on Basic-D V4 produced 2012-10-26 and later (sn 2264), before this serial number the paper jam function is not available.
- Print head sensor. Any feedback?
User interface, speech feedback, language interface
- Test the user interface by completing Feed, ON, OFF, go in to MENU and check values, settings etc. Are the keys working, is the speaker supplying voice feedback? If so then this is OK and functional
Checking the embossing quality
- press HELP+ON to start the printing and perform a hammer test page. Are all hammers embossing as they should with good quality? Picture of hammer test page.
a) if the quality is low, but the same for the complete square of one hammer the issue is typically caused because the hammer is out of position (see video) or the hammer/anvil is worn out.
b) if the quality differs horizontally, for example one side is stronger than the other it is caused by a faulty embosser head ribbon cable.
Check paper size
If an unknown or incorrect paper size is placed in the embosser in comparison to the settings placed in the embosser, this will typically result in embossing on the perforations of the paper between the print area of the page and may even continue off of the paper.
- go to menu/braille settings/ Select paper size + press HELP, the embosser will now echo paper width and length in inches and fractions of an inch. The distance between two feeding holes is generally 0.5 inches. To count the holes is the best way to find out the length of the paper you are using, adjust accordingly in your settings.
Check the page format
- Press HELP + MENU this will echo the number of lines per page and characters per line.
- Perform a braille format page printout by pressing HELP+OFF. The printed braille page will provide information containing characters/line, lines/page and margins.
Once the above check points are correct is known that the embosser is working correctly and has the correct setup for your individual paper.