Everest-D V4 start up trouble shooting
Initial check up:
Before starting up make sure the embosser is free from damages, the recommendation is to check the following:
- That the there are no shipping damages, double check:
- the sheet feeder; plastic parts, the open/close function switch, sheet/card selector have 7 steps or notches, the pick-up rollers are sticky in the sense they are able to pick up the paper to perform a feed .
- that the embossing head; is in position and free from any paper jams
- side plates are straight.
- Now start up your Everest-D V4 Embosser by following instructions here. The start up message "Index Everest-D ready" = OK
Update firmware version
Press HELP, the embosser will then echo the firmware version, if this version is below the latest version presented on the Index website it is recommended to upgrade.
In the file "Latest V4 firmware version history" improvements and bug fixes are tracked and noted; this you may find under downloads.
- The Optical paper sensor is located on the right side above the embossing head. This sensor is used as a paper sensor and is used for censoring the reference position on the embossing head during the start up sequence.
- Place the two transparent paper supports in position at the top of sheet feeder, see picture below
- Insert a stack of paper in the sheet feeder, adjust the left paper support to the paper width and adjust the sheet/card selector in correct position for your paper quality, humidity etc.
- Press Form Feed, at the same time check the green paper sensor LED on the back side of the embosser. If the LED is lit when the paper passes through the feed it is OK.
User interface, speech feedback, language interface
- Test the user interface by performing Feed, ON, OFF then enter the MENU and test the value settings etc. Are the keys working and the speaker administers voice feedback? If yes, then this is OK.
Check the embossing quality
- Place A4 or letter size paper in landscape orientation. Ensure that the embosser settings are adjusted for this paper size. (To change the paper size select: Menu/Braille Settings/Select Paper Size)
- press HELP+ON to conduct a hammer test. Check that all 13 hammers are printing acceptable quality braille? Picture of hammer test page.
- a) if the quality is low, but consistent throughout the individual hammer test square, the issue is typically caused because the hammer is out of position (see video), otherwise the hammer or anvil can be worn out.
- b) if the quality differs horizontally, for example one side is stronger than the other, this is caused by a faulty embossing head ribbon cable.
Check the paper size
If the incorrect paper size is installed, the embosser will typically emboss outside of the paper or with too large of margins. It may also happen that the printout is "single sided" because the last line on the previous page is printed in the top of the next page.
- go to menu/braille settings/ Select paper size + press HELP, the embosser will echo the paper width and length in inches and fractions of an inch.
Check the page format
- Press HELP + MENU and the unit will echo the number of lines per page and characters per line.
- Emboss a braille format page printout by pressing HELP+OFF. The printed braille page will provide the information of characters/line, lines/page and margins.
Once the above check points are tested and correct, you then know the embosser is working correctly and has the correct setup for your choice of paper use.