How to use Index-direct-Braille-X
Index-direct-Braille is a tool to quickly emboss Braille from simple PDF and Word documents.
Preparation before using Index-direct-Braille
- Install the latest Index printer driver for Windows. Includes installation of Index-direct-Braille.
- Upgrade to the latest firmware version
- Setup the Index V5 or V4 embosser for Index-direct-Braille. [Core format settings: select paper size, duplexing (single/double sided, saddle stitch format etc), Page layout (characters/line, lines per page, margins and page numbering)]. -- See set up instructions
- Select your Liblious language and grade type in the embosser menu panel. [menu/ braille settings/ Liblouis settings
How to use Index-direct-Braille
Using Windows 7 or 8
- Right click on your Word (97-2003 format) or PDF-file [the document must be closed].
- Select Index-direct-Braille in the drop-down window
- Select your V4 embosser model from the window and press OK.
Using Mac OSX and Linux (Debian/Ubunto)
-example photos shown using Mac
- Open your document
- Select File in the preferred application or program menu bar and click Print
- Select the Index V4 embosser in which you wish to emboss to and press print
The document has been transferred to the embosser from the computer using one of the above methods depending on your operating system. The embosser will begin to beep during the translation and formatting process. This may take several seconds up to a few minutes depending on the file size. Embossing will begin directly after. [Current recommended maximum document size is 1000 pages.]
Note: In the case of any complex documents including tables, mathematics etc Index Braille then recommends the use of a traditional Braille editor.
*Index V3 embosser models and older are not supported by Index-direct-Braille. Competitor products are additionally not supported by idB.